Ever had those times where you had almost nothing left in your fridge or pantry, but were too lazy to go out and do something about it? This was one of those times. A couple cans of tuna, a box of ziti, some canned tomatoes, and some onion go a long way.
This is a go-to meal when this is all that’s left in the house. Again, I don’t cook from recipes, but here’s my approximation on the dish.
– 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes
– 1 14 ounce can tomato sauce
– 1/2 large onion, diced
– 3 cloves garlic
– 2 cans of Italian tuna, packed in olive oil (or whichever type you like)
– Salt & pepper to taste
– Red Pepper Flakes
– zest of 1 lemon (juice if you like)
– olive oil (1-2 second pour)
– Capers (optional, didn’t have any this time)
– Your choice of pasta
– Start a large stockpot of water to boil
– Heat up the olive oil in a sauce pan over medium, add red pepper flakes if you are using them
– While oil is heating, slice garlic thinly, and cook in oil for a couple minutes
– Add the 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes and crush them, cook for 5 minutes
ENJOY…not a time-consuming or fancy meal by any means, but good stuff. And easy enough to do.